Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike passes through, me unscathed

We'll Ike came through my town and besides the high winds and light rain lasting all night, I made it just fine. I'm glad Ike was more bark than bite, because i was nervous in it.

It's 1:30 pm now and the sun is shining and this sunday i feel is gonna be a short day. I'm not saying i'm not going to enjoy it's just going to be short that's all.

For every one that just started to read my blog, i am going to backtrack alittle and tell every one how a tent in a campershell started. About 2 years after i got my truck, i started to research camping alternatives. I knew from experience that sleeping in a tent was not the ideal comfortable solution when camping, with cold moist ground making your tent floor cold as well as the high cold drafts and winds blowing through the tent fabric or even uprooting your tent stakes. So I decided to think of a way to camp comfortably and i had seen campers on the back of pickup trucks and so i decided that was the answer. Making my truck into a mobile house camper. I did extensive research on it from thinking of buying one used to actually finding plans on the internet to buy and build my own, But the more i looked into it the less promising it became and i learned 3 problems i would face. The first major problem was i wanted a camper sitting on the bed of my truck with all the amenemities ex: shower, toilet, fridge, microwave, tv, ect.. ect.. ect.. and with every thing i wanted came at a price and that was weight. My half ton pick up truck would not be able to carry the camper around full time without stripping the transmission or wearing out the engine not to mention breaking an axle. My half ton would just not be able to handle all that weight and i did not want to buy another 3/4 ton or 1 ton vehicle so i decided to use my existing campershell and figure out a way to make it livable without a shower or built in toilet so that is what i did. The other major obstacles was the getting outside every time to move the truck as well as security and fire saftey issues with the door being on the back of the bed of the truck and the last major obstacle was that it was not stealth carrying a big camper on the bed of a truck everyone knows your living in it and parking stays would be short lived with the police present. Anyway so i took my campershell and examined it and the bed of my truck it was all rusted and i noticed a gap between my the bed of my truck the tailgate.. i was like omg snake spider and mostly mosquitoes could get in so i was like i have to figure out a way to keep the pests out and eventually the tent inside a camper shell was born not only did it have screens to ward off mosquitoes and pests but it would make a nice interior room inside my hard cover fiberglass and campershell. I never knew if it was going to work because most tents require stakes and there was no way i could stake tent pegs in the metal floor of my bed but when i set it up outside and shoved it in the bed of my truck i knew then i didnt need stake the tent poles had enough tension to keep everything formed and thats how the tent was born in a campershell.. :)

2 comments:

beautiful_hippie said...

Awesome!!!! Love hearing about what is going on!

Dark-Blue-Night said...

thanks!!